Read Beyond the Beaten Path
Odell Library Summer Reading Program
• This year we will have a Summer Reading Program from Wednesday, June 1st to Thursday, June 30th
• Reading Logs* will be given to the kids starting on June 1st – our first activity day
• Programs will be at the library except for our field trip on Monday, June 27th to Humiston Woods
• Please wear masks for all indoor activities and do not come if feeling unwell
• Registration begins Monday, May 23rd or you can register & join us throughout the program. Parents please come in to register your children who are entering 1st – 4th grades. Kids entering 5th and up can self-register. No unattended pre-schoolers please.
Please note any food, animal or other allergies on the enrollment form.
Questions? Give us a call at 815-998-2012.
Wednesday, June 1st 1:30–3:00 Kids come for the first day of Summer Reading – Receive reading
logs & field trip info. Check out books. We will set up the robotic mouse and do some coding and
make drawing and sticker collages in the program room.
Friday, June 3rd 1:30-3:00 A magic show with Dan Ford who will entertain and mystify everyone
With tricks and fun. Parents and friends are also invited to come enjoy this program.
Monday, June 6th 1:30–3:00 Fun with Unique Twist balloon artist and chalking the sidewalks
Wednesday, June 8th 1:30–3:00 Bread Day. You will get to mix up, knead and shape bread to take
home and bake. We will also be able to taste several types of bread.
Monday, June 13th 1:30-3:00 Fun with Music – Mike Lockett with be here with a mountain
dulcimer to sing songs & tell stories followed by some creative drumming.
Wednesday, June 15th 1:30–3:00 – Wing, Stings and Leggy Things Debbie Ruff from the Farm Bureau will be here to read a story & teach everyone how to make Paper Bag Nature Journals.
Monday, June 20th 1:30 to 3:00 – LEGO fun with April’s Brickyard, a make it take it Lego day
Wednesday, June 22nd 1:30 – 3:00 – Butterfly Day. Learn how to make coffee filter butterflies and decorate them and see a video about butterflies
Monday, June 27th – 10:00 to 3:30 – FIELD TRIP to visit Humiston Woods Nature Center.
The bus leaves at 10:00 AM from the library – we will provide lunch for those coming. We plan
to get back to the Library about 3:30. “Fox Ellis will be leading the nature walks with stories.
Parents can also drive if the bus is full – sign ups required in advance for this day.
Thursday, June 30th – 1:30 – 3:00 – We will create a mural about our trip to Humiston Woods.
at the library. Last day, turn in reading logs for prizes.
*Reading logs – For younger readers – track the number of books read each week
Older readers – please track hours read each week. Parents, please initial the reading logs
Our Summer Reading program is partially funded by the State of Illinois Per Capita Grant and donations given in memory of Jim Thorne